Wednesday, December 7, 2016
2016 Favorite Songs (Numbers 30-21)
Inching closer to the top of my countdown:
30. Solange ft. Sampha - "Don't Touch My Hair"
Stunning highlight from her masterful record A Seat at the Table.
29. Balance and Composure - "Postcard"
For me, this was a weak year for guitar based records, however, songs like this got me through.
28. The Big Pink - "Hightimes"
Fitting to its title, this song churns along on a druggy vibe.
27. Cubicolor - "One False Step"
Gorgeous electronica; love how the vocals and synths reach soaring heights at the end.
26. AlunaGeorge - "Hold Your Head High"
Awesome banger from the UK duo.
25. Broods - "Worth the Fight"
Touching song about trying to save a relationship.
24. Trentemøller ft. Jehnny Beth - "River in Me"
23. Delorean - "Muzik"
All parties must come to an end, and this is the soundtrack to the Uber ride home.
22. Beyonce - "Sorry"
A literal middle finger to all cheating spouses, and the awakening of a new feminist anthem.
21. Banks & Steelz - "Can't Hardly Feel"
On paper, this collaboration should be a disaster, however, I was amazed at how many times I went back to this record and found something new. I love this lonely little track, and you just feel a palpable sense of loss.