Thursday, December 14, 2017
2017 Favorite Songs (Numbers 40-21)
My countdown continues:
40. Drake - "Passionfruit"
Drake at his most relaxed. Pure pop perfection. You can listen to the track here.
39. Phoenix - "Ti Amo"
Driving beats, chugging guitars, and a roaringly good chorus make this one of the best alt-dance tracks of the year.
38. Flume ft. Kučka - "Hyperreal"
Experimental techno masquerading as an EDM-pop hit.
37. Slum Sociable - "Don't Come Back Another 100 Times"
Dense, lush production work highlight this down-tempo track from the Melbourne duo.
36. Vessels ft. Lowly - "I Believe It Now"
Euphoric synthpop. Makes me want to roll down the car windows and blare it from my speakers.
35. Bearcubs - "Underwaterfall"
Clearly drawing from James Blake, Bearcubs puts his own spin on it, creating a palpable, liquid world.
34. Robert Robert ft. Anna Majidson - "Misunderstood"
Intoxicating club track that builds up into a fury of swirling synths.
33. Cloud - "Foliage"
Hauntingly atmospheric electronica from Cloud. Her unique vocal phrasing gives this track a ghostly hue.
32. Blue Hawaii - "Versus Game"
Bright and sunny Balearic-tinged dance track that makes you want to watch the sun rise at a beach rave.
31. Cherry Glazerr - "Lucid Dreams"
I was captivated by this song, which is like the perfect marriage between Blonde Redhead's damaged art-rock and Lush's dream pop.
30. Fever Ray - "To the Moon and Back"
Always captivating, always weird, and always well ahead of the curve, Fever Ray came back to life with this infectious track.
29. Julien Baker - "Turn Out the Lights"
Powerful song that starts out feeling defeatist but turns the tables to become an anthem for trusting yourself.
28. Wild Beasts - "Punk Drunk & Trembling"
Sad to say this is the last song from Wild Beasts, as they recently broke up. But thankfully they left on a high note with this beautiful, synth driven track, and one of Hayden Thorpe's most impassioned vocals.
27. Jax Jones ft. Demi Lovato & Stefflon Don - "Instruction"
This is just a fun track that always makes me smile.
26. Slowdive - "Sugar for the Pill"
A sea of heavenly guitars and lush synths engulfs you in this melancholy ballad.
25. The Killers - "Some Kind of Love"
A subtle sample of Brian Eno's ambient work "An Ending (Ascent)" endears one to this beautifully done song.
24. HEALTH - "Euphoria"
Pretty much the title says it all.
23. Lorde - "Supercut"
Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Who hasn't looked back at a former relationship and wondered if you had the chance would you have done things differently?
22. Kelela - "Frontline'
Commanding track from one of this year's R&B female powerhouses. You can listen to it here.
21. Fischerspooner ft. Caroline Polachek - "Togetherness"
The most sensual pop song of the year; it will definitely make your temperature rise.